Sunday, October 14, 2012

TBBT 6x03: The Higgs Boson Observation


Spurred on by the success of Peter Higgs' early work, Sheldon gets his mother to send him a box of papers he wrote when he was a child, hoping that something in there will put him on the fast track to winning a Nobel Prize. However, due to the volume and complexity of the works in the box, he needs to hire a grad student to look at it.

A lady grad student. Which is a lot easier to find these days.

The hiring process doesn't take very long, and soon Sheldon's new assistant, Alex, is going through his old work and dealing with Sheldon's insanity. However, Sheldon has neglected to tell Amy that Alex is a woman, so jealousy rears its ugly head. I'm not sure whether or not the average person assumes 'Alex' is a guy's name. My voice tends to give it away fairly rapidly, and I'm sure it's evident in my writing style, but if a person were just reading my name, I don't know if they'd assume my gender or consider it ambiguous. Anyway, Amy's not worried that Sheldon will stray, but she is concerned that eight hours per day in his presence will make his assistant hot for his junk. So, she and Penny head down to the university to check things out.

And to lick the office supplies.

They discover fairly quickly that Sheldon's not interested in Alex. In fact, he believes she's beneath him and ought to be eating lunch in the servants quarters at Downton Abbey. However, Alex and Leonard have a decent rapport, so once again, jealousy rears its ugly head. But, rather than licking his stapler, Penny marks Leonard as her territory by having sex with him. Which I'm sure he's fine with.

Meanwhile, Wolowitz's return is delayed, and he has space madness.

It's like regular madness, but in space.

What I Liked
-Penny gets a dollar for handling Sheldon's package. That's not a euphemism.
-Sheldon tries to trick Alex into saying she'd like a marijuana cigarette. They're the best.
-Raj calls dibs on Alex. You've gotta do that or else your buddies might make a move before you get a chance.
-The impressive stink eye Raj gives Leonard. Coming between a man and the woman he loves isn't cool. Even if you come between them by trying to get them to talk to each other.

Raj rage. Say it five times fast.

What I Hated
-Pantsless Wolowitz. No one needs to see that. In fact, that whole sequence was a bit weird, and the green screen work was pretty awful.

Final Thoughts
Kevin Sussman was out of the credits this week. Tough break for him.

I think they've done all they can do with the Howard in space angle, so I'm glad they're bringing him back to Earth soon.

I'm not sure if the show's gotten funnier, or if I've just become more mellow, but I got 27 laughs out of this episode, which means the season average is much higher than it should be. I'll have to look over the data.

No comments:

Post a Comment